10 August 2010

dot exe: PhoneAble

dot exe is a section that covers software. Mostly software for PC as that is what i own and am fluent with, but i'm sure i'll throw in a bone to the MACs every now and then.

The ipod changed the way we listen to music. There were other mp3 players before the ipod, there will be other mp3 players after the ipod, but their impact on the world is negligible compared.

The problem is, that is really hate Itunes. I am a PC. I run Windows. Windows is all about being able to choose what software you want to use for whatever purpose you want. There is no "you must use this software - and only this software" to do what you want to do. I dont like that. I like to be able to make a choice between equally good pieces of software and decide on whatever basis i want. I hate restrictions.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Apple products, those restrictions are a reality Apple users live by day to day. They might not know that they are in a velvet prison, it might not even make any difference to them as they are perfectly happy using what they are told to use, but for me, its an absolute deal breaker.

The problem I have with Itunes & Ipods is that they restrict you to synchronising with only 1 pc. They say that this is meant to reduce piracy, but what about people that have a home pc AND a laptop and would like their legitimate music on both these machines, by using the ipod to synchronise music between them? Apple doesnt want you to so this. I'm sure those people who have or have had an ipod at some point must have wiped their music by mistake on a couple of occasions.

Frustrating isnt it.

Well, as I mentioned before, I am a PC, and on a PC you get options.

Today i'm bringing PhoneAble to the spotlight. A tint piece of software that easily allows you to do what you've always wanted to do, but not been allowed to do. Following a couple of simple instructions, you will be able to use your Iwhatever to merge music from multiple pc's - as long as they're both running Windows, and not be worried about wiping all your settings by mistake.

Its great having a choice isnt it!

1 comment:

  1. I have an ipod and I vowed to myself that once it is broken and cannot be re-fixed I will not buy another ipod. I hate that ad you said you can only sync it to one pc... it's lame !!

    ReplyDelete